Monday, February 16, 2009

Is Spam a Viable Business Model?

Is Spam a viable business model?

This is a serious question. I'm not a spammer, but I'm kind of curious after seeing something today.

I don't know how much of you use twitter, but I saw an interesting tactic today involving spam.

The person using twitter was using "jobs" as his main point. He would update his twitter status almost every 5 minutes within each sector of jobs.

So one hour he would make all his posts "investment banking jobs" "private equity jobs" "hedge fund jobs" and so forth. When people search these terms they come up... the person clicks the link, and basically all it led them too was a website full of google ads.

I then looked at their previous posts from the past months. They did some other interesting tactics like offer help on things, offer advice, "how to" tutorials, information on things, and basically all it did was lead them to a page full of google ads.

I would think with the right targeting and right key words, you could get a decent amount of clicks per day.


Beyond twitter, what about forming groups on facebook/myspace and driving people to these ad filled sites?

What about employing people to simply spam websites and online forums.

Most of the people here never fall for it, but the person was actually able to get me to the site with all the google ads. Once I got there though it was obvious what was happening. His site was terribly designed and manage, but I though to myself, if this website was cleaner and the ads were hidden better, the untrained eye would definitely click on some of these links...

Thoughts? Comments?

Disclaimer: I'm not actually going to attempt this, I just wanted to spur some discussion on the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment